Friday, February 6, 2015

FEBRUARY 6: DIY SCRATCH OFF VALENTINE

So remember how I said I pre-made a few valentine cards so I wouldn't have to make any last minute? Well...today called for a last minute valentine card. Keilani forgot to check in her door hanger for her valentine card before we left for school; turns out, that was a good thing! This morning, she called me with some great news: She made her school's soccer team. So, I decided to make a scratch off  'Congratulations' card for her instead. I'll save the card I replaced for another day.


I have always wanted to try making my a scratch off card for something.  Here are step by step instructions, if you'd like to make your own scratch off card. I plan on putting a video tutorial up, but I'm short for time right this minute, so here's the process in writing:

Things you'll need:

  • Dish Soap
  • Paint brush
  • White Crayon
  • Heavy Card stock
  • Acrylic Paint

Step 1:  
Write your message. I used a Black American Crafts Slick Writer, Medium journaling marker. I chose to draw a heart as the scratch off area, but any shape is fine.

Step 2: 
Cover (heavily) the shape with White crayon. Go over the area a few times to make sure didn't miss a spot.

Step 3:
Mix the dish soap and acrylic paint (1 parts dish soap to 1 parts acrylic paint.)

Step 4: 
Paint over your message. I used two coats Silver acrylic paint because after the first one, I could still see the message through the paint. I'm pretty sure you can use as many coats as you need to cover your message.) Allow your first coat to dry completely, before applying the second coat.

I love how it turned out. You can put your own twist on this! For instance, I cut out the heart I drew (after it was painted and dried), placed it on different paper, and added a label, where I wrote instructions. I had just as much fun making it as she had getting it. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment