Monday, January 13, 2014

HAPPY 2014!

Happy New Year! To kick off the new year, we had a little Project Life party. It was great to see these ladies start albums for 2014 (my daughter included!) My favorite thing to see was how different everyone was doing it.

Cynthia: She was actually starting her 2013 album. She chose to acknowldege and label the months, but not weeks and she would date each photo.

Kathy: Had a huge stack of photos and was inserting those (along with her journaling cards and filler cards of course!) with no rhyme or reason; no choronologial order at all. I mean she had photos from years ago, current photos, and even old, black and white photos of family members. I could never compose my own Project Life like that, but she was rockin' it!

My daughter: She chose to use one of the new 6x8 albums from Becky Higgins collection along with a mini kit (I'm sure she'll be picking from some of my kits too, which is just fine with me.) and is dating her photos, but isn't labeling months or weeks. She is choosing to put in just her favorite photos. I think that's great for a young one, who is just starting out.




This made me think of how I really wanted to document in 2014. In 2013, these are some of the things I found myself doing: 
  • Taking photos of things that everyone else photographing because they were cute ideas and they looked great (food, nails/nail color, keeping every single movie ticket, etc.), but they didn't really hold any special meaning for me, personally. It wasn't something I really cared to remember. 
  • Making sure I had a photo for EVERY SINGLE DAY. For me, that isn't necessary, but that doesn't mean I'm leaving out anything important to us.
  • Leaving out photos because it wouldn't fit evenly into my layout for the week, even with adding an insert. 

Does it really matter to me what week number we are in currently? No. Does it matter if I document what my daughter eats for breakfast before school? Well, maybe ONCE. If it's her favorite thing in the world to eat, or if she did something silly with it, that she never usually does. So what DOES matter to me? How to do I want to document in 2014?
  • I will only label the months, not the weeks using the monthly tab dividers AND making a 4x6 Title card each month and for events/occassions.
  • I will still date every photo.
  • I won't leave out photos just to make one week fit into one layout. 
  • With that being said, I won't be such a stickler about the one week = one 2 page layout formula.  I'll just make sure the photos or journaling cards are dated, and slip them in as I go.
  • I can take all the photos I want, but I will only document the ones that mean something to ME. 
Everyone had their own way of documenting those big moments, small moments and all the other moments in between. All ways are awesome. You just have to find a way that works for YOU. 

On that note, See you later, 2013. 
 

Nice to meet you, 2014. I can't wait to get better acquainted with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment